Friday 16 April 2010

Planning...Before Rather Than After Your Move!

Hello there.

What an erratic time it has been weather-wise hasn’t it? After a particularly warm day last week I set off for a long day out, only returning in the evening. I optimistically left my coat at home – MISTAKE! I have learnt the ‘umbrella lesson’ (never leave home without one…!) and I am now rapidly learning the coat one!

I was recently reminded of my move abroad in that a really good friend of mine has fallen into a trap that I narrowly avoided - he left South Africa without actually going through the emigration process. His wife has a British passport so there was no problem when it came to entering Britain, but the problem has arisen now that he wants to transfer the balance of his funds to the UK.

If he had officially emigrated this process would have been comparatively easy but since he did not do so it has become highly restricted and complex. Plus of course there is the added problem of trying to get things done from a distance. For myself, it took me a full month of visits and endless phone calls to tax and government offices before I finally had all the papers I needed to formally emigrate – I don’t want to think of the frustration and the cost of trying to do this from abroad. Quite apart from anything else, it was a personal relationship that I forged with one of the people in the tax office that finally ‘cracked the case’ – never lose sight of the personal touch and of being remorselessly pleasant and patient throughout! A few tantrums and ill temper can delay you by weeks as obstructive staff may decide that it’s payback time!

You obviously need to make sure in your own mind that you intend to remain abroad, but once you are absolutely sure of this – as I was – you need to go into all the tax implications of your move in order so that you get the most possible value from your savings.

For instance, British pensions – when paying out – are now deeply unattractive. One of the reasons for this is that the income generated by a pension is restricted by the fund it is invested in. Then only 25% of the fund value is available as a tax-free lump sum, plus of course the annual/monthly amount paid is taxed at source. And sadly the final proceeds on death often disappear back to the insurance company rather than going to loved ones.

Alternatives are available and benefits can be extremely advantageous - this is what you need to look into before rather than after your move. In 2006 new EU legislation opened up opportunities for UK pension holders to move their pension abroad, thus giving greater control to the pension holder. However, the scheme, called Qualifying Recognised Overseas Pension Scheme (QROPS – pronounced Crops) needs to meet certain criteria.

To get you started you can access a short guide that the Overseas Guides Company has put together which details exactly how this works. It's about what can be done about increasing the income you get, eliminating or reducing the tax you will pay and effectively ensuring that beneficiaries get ALL of the funds upon death rather than just a percentage plus lots more. This may be a good way to start the process - if you are interested in getting a copy of this guide, please go to: http://www.overseasguidescompany.com/downloads/OGCQROPSGuide.pdf

Also, Smart Currency has put out a brilliant FREE relocation report. One of the toughest lessons I learned was that I should have used a currency company to transfer my money abroad rather than my high street bank. Why? Well, this report will explain all that and tell you how to save money…always useful! Go to http://www.smartcurrencyexchange.com/emigrationreport.aspx if you want to access this.

Once again, it’s all down to planning and homework but seriously, not a minute of the planning I did was time wasted and, in the end, it allowed me to move seamlessly and with the minimum of trouble.

More next week! Please jump in and add anything that you feel may help or that you would like me to discuss won’t you?

Best,

Carol.
http://www.greecebuyingguide.com

No comments:

Post a Comment