Thursday 24 February 2011

Safe driving in Greece

A while back we successfully navigated the process of getting your car registered in Greece – I thought that I had better write a few words on driving in Greece - once experienced never forgotten, so ‘they’ say!

Let me hit you with the bad news first: Greece has the highest accident rate in Europe - what does that tell you? That this is going to be an experience that quite possibly you won't forget in a hurry... On second thoughts, perhaps the use of the word 'hurry'- and indeed 'hit' - aren't altogether the best words to use here - forget I said them...

Tip one from experience: remain calm, while all about you are decidedly not. Greek drivers are notoriously erratic, impulsive drivers. Changing lanes without indicating, tail-gating, hooting, ignoring red lights, travelling too fast on wet, sometimes snowy, narrow, one-lane roads are all par for the course: did I mention that you should remain calm?!

There is also something macho about the Greek male psyche that demands high-speed, reckless driving... You probably didn't know that what you thought was a yellow emergency lane is actually another road lane, just slightly narrower? I jest...but you would be forgiven for thinking so. I must confess that the many little road-side shrines, heaped with flowers, that mark accident spots, do little to calm one's fears.

So...a few tips, especially if you are used to driving on the left hand side of the road:

* Drive on the right hand side of the road!

* Remain calm

* Ignore the ill-tempered hoots from other drivers

* Know your route in advance to alleviate dithering

* Practice the left-across-the-traffic turn in your driveway first – I had difficulty with this!

* Master driving through a circle on the right hand side - this was a concept that personally I never got down pat

* Avoid rush-hour traffic, especially in Athens. Actually anywhere, come to think of it...

* And here is my most important one: test that your hooter works - do not set off on your journey until it does...you may need it. Technically, it's illegal in towns and urban areas except in case of emergencies, but trust me, no one in Greece seems to be aware of this

It reminds me that years ago I once told my partner that there was something seriously wrong with my car. When he pressed me on the subject, I told him that the hooter was not working. A pained look crossed his face: suffice it to say that I would do better driving in Greece than he would...
All this has been in a slightly joking mood but later I will follow up with some more serious stuff: a few of the rules of the road.
Take care – and drive safely!

Best wishes,

Carol.

The Overseas Guides Company
http://www.Greecebuyingguide.com

2 comments:

  1. One more thing to note on driving in Greece is that other drivers entering a round-a-bout have priority. In the UK its the driver on the round-a-bout that has priority. In Greece you must give way to someone entering. Seems very weird especially on the pea sized round-a-bouts on local roads. Learned this at my peril. Lots of angry Greeks yelling at me and much tooting (all of which I ignored) as I sail through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a bad opinion of Greek drivers, an opinion I do not endorce, so I would like to offer a more positive opinion of driving in Greece.

    Yes Greece has the highest accident rate in Europe but most accidents are caused by under age and teenage children riding motorbikes that are too fast for them so they take corners too fast and hit trees. Also they do not wear helmets which makes the death toll higher. I have lived near to Koroni in the Peloponnese for over 3 years and in that time I have seen or heard of many motorbike accidents but only one car accident (that was a drunk driver which also happens in the UK)

    With regard to: "Greek drivers are notoriously erratic, impulsive drivers. Changing lanes without indicating, tail-gating, hooting, ignoring red lights, travelling too fast on wet, sometimes snowy, narrow, one-lane roads are all par for the course" this also happens in the UK which is why there is road rage (which you do not get in Greece).

    Greek drivers do drive fast but so do UK drivers. In fact it is safer to drive fast in Greece because the roads are less congested. The Greeks do move over into the "emergency lane" but that is to let other drivers pass them safely, which to me shows consideration to other road users - something you do not get in the UK.

    I enjoy driving in Greece as the roads are less congested (except in the main towns) and safer. I have driven all over the Peloponnese, upto and in Athens and other parts of mainland Greece. Also, whilst on holiday, I have driven all over Crete.

    A piece of advice I will give is DO NOT DRIVE IN ATHENS. Park at a Metro station outside of Athens and take the Metro. Much calmer on the nerves and quicker too.

    ReplyDelete